Monday, December 31, 2007
I told him he should get a Mac. In fact, I tell everybody that. I am a Mac fanboy, and I have no problem admitting it either. Macs are better than PCs, but not for the reasons that everyone assumes. Sure, the hardware is beautiful, but the real power comes from the operating system, Mac OS X, and its tight integration with Apple's other software offerings (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc.). Windows flat out sucks when it comes to this (and it sucks for just about every other category used to compare OSes).
The problem, you see, is that my friend is a bit of cheap-o. He wants to wait until after the new year to reap the rewards of a 1% reduction in the GST. For a $600 laptop, that amounts t0 6 dollars. Six Bucks! And he wants the best deal possible -- something for nothing. Granted, he's not a computer power user like myself -- I've maxed out the amount of memory my laptop can handle, and I still feel like I could use some more -- so he is able to purchase a low-end computer and make it last for years and years. Perhaps spending $1200 bucks for a Macbook isn't sensible when an $800 Toshiba will do the trick.
But I implore you ... Don't do it! Take a look at this picture I took while I was at Esso pumping gas. They have these media terminals now, running video ads and such. They are apparently running Windows, because it says so in the blue screen of death! How embarrassing...
Check out this article from PC World. Nobody wants Vista. Who do you know that's upgraded? I don't know anybody!
Anyways, that's my opinion. If you end up buying a PC, so be it, just make sure you have a wireless router for your net connection, or as an alternative, never invite us to your place. That is all.
Sunday, December 30, 2007
- 37% shooting ... I can do that!
- 17 free throw attempts, and 53% shooting?
- Andrea Bargnani, please try to remember that this is your second year in the league. Act like it!
- Juan Dixon's 13 minutes of PT contributed heavily to our loss. Reducing his playing time will eventually lead to more wins
Saturday, December 29, 2007
The headline on my newspaper would have read, "San Antonio's spurs no match for Raptors' claws", or "Spurs spurred by Raps", or "Raps kick shit out of fuckheads", or "Anthony wins battle of the Parkers".
The Raps weathered a Spurs run in the third, which saw a 12-point halftime lead buckle, but never break. The Raps biggest mistake was allowing prolific loser Juan Dixon to get burn, instead of just playing 4 players. What were you thinking?!
- I'm all for Andrea Bargnani enrolling in the school of hard knocks, but does that need to mean that Rasho Nesterovic isn't allowed to play anymore?
- Kris Humphries' stock continues to skyrocket
- When we were at The host getting our eat on, Cathy kept asking for "Chicken Bargnani".
- Fuck Juan Dixon. If Beth marries this guy, then she and I are "hi and bye".
- Jason Kapono is earning his paycheque.
- I did not appreciate my wife's premature "We win!" proclamation at the 4:32 second mark in the fourth quarter. Are you crazy!?
- We showed excellent defensive intensity in the fourth quarter, which was a breathe of fresh air after a poor effort against the Sonics.
Friday, December 28, 2007
In order to help voters make an informed decision, CathyAl conducted surprise inspections. Edited using iMovie '08 (Apple fanboy strikes again), and posted on YouTube (Google fanboy strikes again), here they are for your viewing pleasure.
What are your thoughts? Who is the frontrunner? Let me know what you think!
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
So, my best-of lists will probably not match yours (because I'm not as lazy as you are, and you obviously have all the time in the world), and there will probably be some glaring omissions, but ... tough luck, this is my blog!
Best movies of 2007
It's kinda funny, I was going to list the top 10, but when I counted, I had only watched 9 movies in the theatre this year! So here are my top five:
- Superbad: "It was either McLovin, or Mohammed" ... Friggin hilarious!
- 300: "This ... is ... Sparta!"
- Bourne Ultimatum: "If you were in your office, we'd be having this conversation face-to-face"
- American Gangster: I don' have a witty one-liner for this one, but trust me, it's a great movie
- Knocked Up: I'm tired of the haters! Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen rock!
- Alicia Keys - As I am: My average is dropping slightly, which is to say that I am only listening to the album once a day instead of 3 times a day.
- Ne-Yo - Because of you: Never thought I would like it, but I absolutely love it
- Jay-Z - American Gangster: "Don't compare me to other rappers/compare me to trappers, I'm more Frank Lucas than Ludacris"
- Kanye West - Graduation: Your third album is nice with it, but not as nice as your big brother (aka B.I.G.'s brother, used to be Dame and Biggs' brother)
- Beyonce - BDay: Whenever someone says, "To the left", I have this uncontrollable urge to sing, "To the left, to the left"
- Dexter - Season 2: Serial killer meets stand-up comedian
- Lost - Season 3: Jack and Kate meet "the others"
- Heroes - Season 1: Sylar meets Peter. Chin meets disappointment
- Californication: Down-on-his-luck writer meets lots of hot girls ... and has sex with all of them.
- Damn near anything on TLC: Jon and Kate plus eight, Little People Big World, LA Ink, Miami Ink, American Chopper, Flip this House, oh my!
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
- Metroid Prime: Corruption
- Rainbow Six Vegas
- Guitar Hero 2
- Rock Band
- Call of Duty 4
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Happy holidays Raptor fans!
Saturday, December 22, 2007
But I can say this: Our defense has been horrible against Portland and Seattle. What's going on Raps? Why are you giving up 123 points?
Anyways, tonight against the Suns will either be a landmark victory for the Raps, or a massacre. Raptor fan must believe it will be the former.
Friday, December 21, 2007
For the first time, I wrote notes during the game:
- AP good D on Roy early in the game
- Rasho Nesterovic, the offensive monster!
- Nate MacMillan pinstripe suit: Bay, what do you think about that?
- Andrea Bargnani, you'll get your confidence back, slowly but surely. Love that aggressive ball fake and drive to the basket.
- Jose Calderon had Steve Blake completely turned around!
- LaMarcus Aldridge will shoot it -- in your face!
- Brandon Roy is a baller
- AP seems to only be able to hit 3-pointers from the corners ... put him up top, and he can't hit them
- Jose Calderon has made Steve Blake look silly all night
- Did you see Brandon Roy switch hands in mid-air?!
- Darrick Martin, please stop shooting the basketball
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
After the first half, I questioned why I was sacrificing sleep. The offense was horrible! If they weren't taking stupid shots, they were missing wide-open shots. Or missing from the free throw line. Thankfully, the Clips sucked as well.
In the third, the Raps took care of business, thanks to kick-ass defense. The Clips only scored 11 points! After a bit of a scare (thanks to ... Richie Frahm?), I went to bed a happy Raptors fan.
- Block party! Corey Maggette, your ass was CB'd more than Shaun's closest circle of male friends. Bosh blocked your ass ... Jamario blocked your ass ... even Andrea Bargnani blocked your ass!
- Healthy CB4 vs. Tim Thomas on one foot just ain't fair ... and the Raps knew it. In the fourth quarter, they kept feeding Bosh, and he ended up with 16 trips to the charity stripe. I love it!
- Chris Kaman, you got locked the fuck down!
- Jamario Moon got his offensive game back.
- AP 0-6? Ugly!
- Richie Frahm? Who is this guy?
Sunday, December 16, 2007
- The Celtics' defense is disgusting. Nobody gets an open shot. They switched to a matchup zone at times, which the Raps could not figure out.
- Andrea Bargnani, what's going on?
- I'm glad that Rajon Rondo has been reading my blog, and decided to smarten up. He played well today.
- I'm sure the ladies will love Carlos Delfino even more, now that he has stitches on his eye.
- The game ended early, when Sam Mitchel decided to sub in Juan Dixon. 0-4 from the field. What a piece of garbage.
- Carlos Delfino and Jamario Moon are on my ill-advised shot watchlist. I'm watching you guys!
Saturday, December 15, 2007
But it still scared the shit out of me. I really, really, really, don't need this kind of drama in my life. I don't need zombies jumping out of the shadows. I don't need suspense scenes without a soundtrack. Most importantly, I don't need my friends laughing and making jokes about me. I don't need it! Fuck!
So, in spite of all of the movie's pitfalls, I came out pumped and excited. All, in all, a good moviegoing experience.
If I were the last man on earth, I'd do things a lot differently:
- Walk the streets with more firepower. How about a machine gun at least? Or an RPG? Who's going to mess with you when you're packing that much heat?
- Move out of my house, and into a more high-level security facility. Then, even if zombies followed me home, it wouldn't matter. I'll invite them over, and watch them trip over my claymore mines. Surprise, bitches!
- Practice my jumpshot
- Watch more porn. No wonder he went crazy after 3 years, he didn't have any release!
- Set up a sick computer, so I could play all the PC games I could never play with my crappy AMD Duron processor. And, I got all the time in the world! Oh snap, I forgot to feed the dog!
- Jose Calderon: 16 assists, 2 turnovers.
- Carlos Delfino got cut above the eye, and instead of crying like Vince Carter was known to do, he walked off the court with a scowl on his face. Gritty!
- Jason Kapono, your shot is like a Ruth's Chris steak ... delicious! Jose Calderon whipped a pass out to JK that was too high. Instead of bringing the ball back down to set up his shot, Kapono just flicked his wrist and dropped the 3 ball.
- Chris Bosh or Jermaine O'neal? C'mon man, JO is garbage!
- Jose Calderon didn't give up on the fast break, and blocked Kareem Rush. Carlos Delfino didn't give up on a Dunleavy layup, and swatted it away. Raptor fan appreciates the effort!
- David Harrison is proof that we are descendants of Neaderthal
Thursday, December 13, 2007
- Kris Humphries was an absolute monster. He had to fight Diop and Dampier for rebounds, and he came away with 12 of them! 5 of them were offensive, and I swear he had no business grabbing at least 2 or 3 of them. Went up, grabbed that board, put it back ... And 1!
- TJ Ford paid a visit, and received a standing ovation. Glad to see you're okay, TJ!
- The Mavs didn't want to come out and guard CB4's jumper. He made them pay.
- Dirk Nowitzki is not MVP-caliber this year.
- There was some loser sitting behind me, and every time he opened his mouth, something ignorant came out. "waaahh, why are they just standing around on defense?" ... "waaah, they should rebound the basketball" ... I was so friggin close to turning around and slapping him in the face.
- The Raps had excellent motion in their offense. Jason Kapono was the recipient of a nice Carlos Delfino pass, because he cut to the basket. Rasho Nesterovic also had a wide open dunk (and he didn't miss, either), thanks to people driving in the lane and drawing shotblockers out of position. Even Bargnani got into the act, cutting to the basket and getting 2 + 1. I love it!
- I thought the Raps played excellent defense for the most part. Andrea Bargnani and CB4 did a great job on Nowitzki. Bargnani also helped out a lot on the screen and roll when Jose Barea was on the floor. Delfino and Parker were active, and came away with a few steals.
- Jason Kapono's 3-rock to end the first half was gold. Great ball movement all night!
- Some lady was playing the Raptors' version of Deal or No Deal. The deal: A signed CB4 jersey. Should she take it? The crowd seemed to think so. But, she didn't. Instead, she picked one of the cases, and won a whopping $1. Pw3nd1.
- I am now the owner of a reversible toque, with a Raptors claw at the front. Wicked!
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Sunday, December 09, 2007
The Raps looked great on both ends, thanks to some second half adjustments, and of course, the return of Chris Bosh to the lineup. Offensively, once they got troublemakers Jamario Moon and TJ Ford off the floor, the offense cleanup up, and the team got great looks every possession. Kris Humphries and Jason Kapono looked especially good on the offensive end, taking it to the basket, and not being afraid of the Ming Dynasty spitting lead in their faces. Jose Calderon was an absolute maestro, conducting to the tune of 6 assists and "cero" turnovers (that's Spanish for "zero" ... Dora ain't got shit on me!).
Defensively, the intensity picked up in the second half, which included a CB4 block on a T-Mac layup attempt. Also, blocking the crap out of Carl Landry was fun, except for not coming away with the basketball part.
I was especially pleased with everyone's patience. We grabbed a lot of offensive rebounds (18, I just double-checked), and if CB4 was on the floor, he was the first option with our second attempt. Carl Landry? Chuck Hayes? They can't guard you!
Let's keep up the winning!
We were at Sherway Gardens on Saturday, and before I spent half an hour at the Apple store flicking through menus on the iPod Touch, I made a stop at New York fries. Man, this picture is making me hungry...
I couldn't really pick out what makes Boston's defense so good. It looked to me more like the Raptors were just taking bad shots. But Boston can't be number 1 in both opponent points and opponent field goal percentage because every team they play turns stupid against them.
And offensively ... is there a player that can stop Kevin Garnett? maybe 2-3 players combined can stop him, except he has Paul Pierce and Ray Allen as passing options. Fuck!
I took solace in the fact that the Celts have a weakness: Rajon Rondo. This kid is garbage.
So what happens next? As long as CB4 is out, we keep losing to top tier teams. No Bosh, and we're going to rack up plenty of Ls in December. Starting against the Rockets.
Friday, December 07, 2007
Nice! I think this is a sign that we're going to beat Boston tonight, I can feel it!
Thursday, December 06, 2007
- Poor transition defense
- Poor defense against slashers cutting to the basket
- Poor perimiter defense
That basically means we suck in all aspects of defense. Not all the time, mind you. But enough times for it to cost us. I can say that there were a number of good defensive stands, and one in particular that I remember, where the Suns had to swing around the perimiter twice, and still couldn't find an open shot. The Raps switched when they were supposed to switch, rotated when they were supposed to rotate, and Leandro Barbosa was forced to take a wild 3 ball. These stands were few and far between.TJ Ford had that look in his eye in the fourth quarter. He was putting the team on his shoulders. Unfortunately, for all of his one-on-one offensive sickness, the Suns had an answer. Sometimes multiple answers.
Friday, we get our rematch with Boston. CB4, we need you!
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
It was so uninspiring that Rasho and Jamario were missing dunks.
And I was so sure of a win that I almost didn't even feel like writing about it. Now, we got Phoenix on Wednesday, and Boston on Friday. We've got some momentum, and hopefully we get our offensive weapons back from injury. Let's go get these wins!
Sunday, December 02, 2007
I wanted to thank everyone for making this a total weekend celebration. Thanks to Chin for hosting the friend's party on Saturday night. Thanks to Osmos in Streetsville, for hooking us up with delicious Shawarma goodness. Thanks to Kev for sharing his Courvoisier (it was delicious!)
Thanks to Tito Ric and Tita Lyn for hosting the family party on Sunday. Thanks to my everyone that helped clean up (and helped eat all of the food, too!).
Thanks for all of the birthday wishes. I feel so much love!
Most of all, thanks to my wonderful wife. I don't know what I did to deserve you. You've worked so hard this week to make all of this happen. I appreciate it all. I love you with all of my heart!
Now, as a bonus feature to this post, watch me end my french fry ban! Here's the back story for those that need it.
- Andrea Bargnani 2-13 from the field? Despicable!
- Why are we allowing so many fast break points? Easy layups?
- Antawn and Caron were nice with it. Imagine if Gilbert was there too? Oh snap!
- We gotta do something about having so many jump shooters on our team.