The 2007-2008 Raptors, on the other hand, despite having the exact same core of players, are no longer poised and confident. They are blowing leads, and can't seem to stop the bleeding of a (insert double digit number here)-0 run. They become more selfish during an opponent's run, and no longer want to move the basketball. They are allowing a lot of fastbreak points, or what I'm going to call semi-fastbreak points: The defense is "set", but an offensive player on an isolation carves through the defense and scores within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. Did you see Dirk Nowitzki eat up Andrea Bargnani? Or Devin Harris school whoever the heck was guarding him? Where is the help?
This is a mystery that baffles Raptor fans, and assuredly (hopefully?) coach Mitchell and his team are attempting to solve this very second. We should have beaten GS after we took the lead, and we should have beaten Dallas after being up 24. But we have no poise, and teams are capitalizing.
I don't have any answers. Do you?
- ESPN reports that Garbo has been moved to the inactive list. Oh, I hope that it isn't something big. We need you back!
- I am doubly mad that Nowitzki blew up last night, because not only did he help Dallas beat the Raptors, but he's helping my friends who added Dirk to their fantasy teams. Fuck!
- I hate how easily the Raptors' defense collapses, and leaves 3 point shooters open. That speaks to either lack of preparation, or lack of communication.
- 19 Raptor team assists. Anyone reading my blog knows what that translates into: Taking an L.
- Chris Bosh had an excellent line (31 points, 12 rebounds, 7-10 free throws), but there were a few possessions in the fourth where it seemed like Dallas' defenders were wary of CB4's tricks. Sometimes Bosh is only looking to get fouled, so he's looking for contact. When the defender backs off, Bosh is completely off-balanced, at risk of travelling, and what he'll do is awkwardly release the ball and pray that it bounces in. In the fourth, everything was bouncing out. Plant and elevate, these guys can't stop you!
- Bargnani also had a great offensive night, but he could not defend Dirk Nowitzki. It's okay, not very many players in the league can anyways. That doesn't mean you're off the hook, Andrea, you gotta work on that shit!
- Devin Harris is friggin fast.
- Is TJ Ford okay? Is he playing tonight?